[Bf-committers] Getting the key down information

Stealth Apprentice stealthapprentice at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 06:01:44 CET 2006

My spaceball patch is pretty good for this.

With a small modification (pretty clear from the code)
you can make my code pan/raise/dolly within the move
loop. Right now it looks for spaceball inputs, all
you'd have to do is assign one key to be the
"spaceball" key, and as long as it's held down,
instead of the mouse doing the middle mouse thing, it
could do x/y/z translation. Or you could toggle the
mouse mode... Or you could support WASD while
"mouselooking" in the normal middle mouse mode. I
agree with Ed that you want to stay away from wacky
chords, on the other hand it's most excellent to be
able to stay in the Blender's look-at loop.

The reason it's desirable to stay in that loop instead
of popping out, and reentering in a different mode is
that Blender actually seems to take 1/4 second to
notice that the camera is moving. If you stay in the
loop, camera motion is buttery smooth, but if you
allow a drop out to the main loop, it starts feeling
stuttery.

(That's why the spaceball patch has a 1/10s delay
before exiting the look around mode)