[Bf-committers] compiling without exr broken

Nick Porcino meshula1 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 06:19:34 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm the person who maintains OpenEXR for Windows.

MSVC6 can't compile OpenEXR because of template specializations in Imath.

We had to drop MSVC6 support in OpenEXR about a year ago because while our
code base moved forward, MSVC6 didn't.

It is possible to create an OpenEXR wrapping DLL that exposes a simple C
style API that is MSVC 6 compatible. In that case, you could get an
OpenEXR.dll from somewhere else, and link a small library in your MSVC6
build.

If a Blender developer would like to donate a C style OpenEXR wrapper to the
OpenEXR project, I could work with the rest of the OpenEXR team to get it
(or something similar) added to the next OpenEXR release.

- nick