[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-webcontent] Fwd: Blender.org website section email

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 04:07:51 CET 2006

Austin Benesh wrote:
> of the website will directly reflect the quality of our program, and I
> firmly feel that any offensive material hosted or supported by the
> site will turn away a large group of people that simply want to access
> a site devoted to improving and promoting a graphics-design program.
> Yes, nudity is usually a part of art, but it is also a heavily
> controversial subject. It is best simply to not host it at all. I can
> tell you that if blender.org hosts this kind of 'art', I will have to
> leave the community. I know I do not stand alone on this issue.
Frankly nudity isn't an issue in most art institutions.  It's only when
you add publicity (especially publicity accessible by minors) to the mix
that you get problems.

This reminds me of Islamic woman who feel naked without their
headscarves, as opposed to some nudists who find the idea of
automatically associating the nude form with any kind of negativity or
sexual overtones offensive.  It's really a matter of point-of-view, and
frankly from a business standpoint it's a matter of going for the
greatest common factor, the point of view common to all point-of-views.
Which is a little offensive in and of itself to many people (I'm not
myself sure where I stand on that point).

Or at least that's how I see it. :)

joeedh