[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-webcontent] Fwd: Blender.org website section email

Austin Benesh bfdeveloper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 02:37:48 CET 2006

Tom M wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are two seperate issues here
>
> 1) Should Blender Foundation host content that is in poor taste and
> reflects poorly on Blender?
>
> Naughty nurse
> http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Stand-alones.162.0.html
>
>  is harmless but it is in "bad taste" and as such reflects poorly on
> Blender Foundation.
>
> Personally I think this is the more persuasive side of the issue
>
> 2) Should we host content that will prevent us from being used at schools?
>
> This is similar to the issue Ubuntu encountered with its background
> screen.  However depections of the nude form is an integral part of
> artistry.  Thus if we had renders containing artistic nudity in the in
> the gallery, then I'd argue against there removal even if it would
> prevent some schools from linking to the Blender Foundation.
>
> So in the case of the nurse I'd say that 1 is persuasive which happens
> to also effect 2.
>
> Note that in the US all schools recieving federal funding are required
> to have content filters on them.  Since pretty much all schools do
> recieve federal funding the filters are nearly universal.  Due to the
> nature of how the keyword filters work the wording in the caption is
> possible (likely?) to result in Blender being a blocked site.  Ie the
> words naughty, nurse, mature and warning in such close proximity would
> likely lead to blender being filtered if the school is using keyword
> filtering.
>
> LetterRip

I think it is absolutely wrong to host any offensive material on a
global site such as www.blender.org (www.blender3d.org). Do you really
want to turn away all the people around the world who just want a free,
user-friendly program without any offensive material? The decency of the
website will directly reflect the quality of our program, and I firmly
feel that any offensive material hosted or supported by the site will
turn away a large group of people that simply want to access a site
devoted to improving and promoting a graphics-design program. Yes,
nudity is usually a part of art, but it is also a heavily controversial
subject. It is best simply to not host it at all. I can tell you that if
blender.org hosts this kind of 'art', I will have to leave the
community. I know I do not stand alone on this issue.

Sincerely,
        Austin Benesh