[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Wed Apr 19 11:55:15 CEST 2006

Chris Want wrote:

> Tom M. also suggested this as "Snapping Framework" & "Dimensioning"
> -- to be honest I'm not sure how this differs a) from holding down
> the ctrl key to snap to grid;
You already have and answer from the others : absolute snapping to the
grid (Alexander), snapping to geometry could become extremely
sophisticated, like snapping to the verts of a temporary 'subdivide
multi'. Since Theeth already stated in this mailing list that snapping
was his first priority hopefully he'll say his word on the subject not
to turn this into a feature request discussion thread but to see if he
could use some help/mentor one or more related projects.
The grid should be adjustable to the scale of the project : the present
arbitrary limit of 100 doesn't make much sense anymore.
It should reflect the chosen unit : AFAIK, at the present, 1 B.U. = 1
meter for practical purposes like defaults in lighting and camera
settings, physics (e.g. gravity), displays while transforming ;
moreover, the integration of small scaled objects to larger one wouldn't
require resizing ; at the moment, modeling small details in a large
scene is difficult with all that camera clipping to reajust...

I stop myself : I guess that you now have a better sense of what could
be done.
> and b) using the "draw edge length",
Let's say that it needs some work... at least.:
    1- it should be themable, so it could be made bigger and of a color
readable on the chosen color for the background;
    2- it should display between two chosen vertices to be of any service;
    3- it should be able to display absolute value and not depend all
the time on the multiplication factor of SizeX...Y...Z