[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-python] scripts as 'core tools'

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Sep 25 06:45:45 CEST 2005

Hi Tom,
Tons general opinne is that the system needs a redesign, so more tools
can be added, thats all very well, but in the meantime people want to
use blender and extend its toolset.

Having a C function that allowed Hard coded C menu items would be good,
as long like - RUN_SCRIPT("blah.py");
Would be kind of cool, and allow Blender team to hand pick good quality
scripts to include in the UI.

However there are some other options.

    * Accept that python tools are nested away, but use Matt Ebbs
      toolbar to use the ones you want.
      Problem with this is new users will still probably not see usefull
      tools like Loft if its nested away, and will just assume its not
      there, unless sombody tells them its there.
      If Matt adds key shortcuts to tools based in order in List, or
      First Letter in every word - like Windows does with the start bar
      (since order isnt static) Then this would be a very useable solution.
      Mabe a multi key Combo
      Shift+T -> First Letter of the tool you want to run.

    * Allow python to add items into more menu's- dont see why this
      stopped??
      Could allow python in Every menu? - Its not even that hard to add,
      and we can just not release scripts, or ask the author to change
      the location if its cluttering a menu. so were not loosing any
      real control.
      - A way of adding them to a spesific slot would also be good.
      Dosent solve the key shortcut issue.

- Thats my 2c
Cam