[Bf-committers] Compile warnings // paint tool discussion

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Sep 16 21:52:48 CEST 2005

Hey,

bjornmose wrote:
> Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Some notes/questions:
>> - The tool shape drawing forces the whole image window to redraw on
>>   every mouse move. This makes it really slow when working with a big
>>   image here. I don't think this is acceptable, and providing a user
>> setting
>>   to disable it doesn't really solve the issue.. . Since the tool
>> shape is a
>>   XOR circle, it should be possible to draw over it, and draw a new
>> circle
>>   without having to redraw the whole window. But that would require
>>   frontbuffer drawing .. . It might be best to disable this until it
>> is coded
>>   better.
>
> I had in mind that some OpenGL drivers have problems with front buffer
> drawing and IIRC there was a discussion on #IRC that preferably a
> partial backbuffer update of the image space should be coded. I'm afraid
> thats beyond my OGL skills right now.

I'm aware of the frontbuffer issues. But coding a real solution for this
is beyond my basic understanding of how the drawing system works.
I will disable it for now.

>> - Are the Aux AB1 and Aux AB2 brushes really needed? I find it confusing.
>>   In my opinion, the tools should just all share color, size, etc.
>
> The Aux Brushes came in as a kind of place holders for other brush types
> that may come, so no they are not really needed but turned out to be handy.
> Actually when i do real painting i have a bunch of brushes lying around
> so i can quickly grab the one i need.
>
> As for the individual settings i thought from artists point of view that
> the real tools have distinct properties e.g. having a sharp pen with
> small size and sharp fall off in contrast to the air brush which spreads
> paint much wider and has a smooth falloff. And for smoothing i'd finally
> take my thumb and wrap a piece of cloth around.
> So idea is changing the tool is like putting away the red pencil and
> taking the blue airbrush in the hand to go on. I would not want to
> forced to adjust the tool every time i pick it up again.
> Then if we store individual setting for size and fall off i'd think it
> would be even more confusing if the color was not.
> Hmm, may we should ask *real* artists.

Ok, this makes sense. Although maybe some sort of smarter brush
management would make sense.

I will commit some code cleanup, and then reorganize the panel
in one of the following days.

Brecht.