[Bf-committers] Compile warnings // paint tool discussion

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Fri Sep 16 20:17:56 CEST 2005

Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some notes/questions:
> - The tool shape drawing forces the whole image window to redraw on
>   every mouse move. This makes it really slow when working with a big
>   image here. I don't think this is acceptable, and providing a user
> setting
>   to disable it doesn't really solve the issue.. . Since the tool shape
> is a
>   XOR circle, it should be possible to draw over it, and draw a new circle
>   without having to redraw the whole window. But that would require
>   frontbuffer drawing .. . It might be best to disable this until it is
> coded
>   better.

I had in mind that some OpenGL drivers have problems with front buffer
drawing and IIRC there was a discussion on #IRC that preferably a
partial backbuffer update of the image space should be coded. I'm afraid
thats beyond my OGL skills right now.

> - Are the Aux AB1 and Aux AB2 brushes really needed? I find it confusing.
>   In my opinion, the tools should just all share color, size, etc.

The Aux Brushes came in as a kind of place holders for other brush types
that may come, so no they are not really needed but turned out to be handy.
Actually when i do real painting i have a bunch of brushes lying around
so i can quickly grab the one i need.

As for the individual settings i thought from artists point of view that
the real tools have distinct properties e.g. having a sharp pen with
small size and sharp fall off in contrast to the air brush which spreads
paint much wider and has a smooth falloff. And for smoothing i'd finally
take my thumb and wrap a piece of cloth around.
So idea is changing the tool is like putting away the red pencil and
taking the blue airbrush in the hand to go on. I would not want to
forced to adjust the tool every time i pick it up again.
Then if we store individual setting for size and fall off i'd think it
would be even more confusing if the color was not.
Hmm, may we should ask *real* artists.

What i did is a proposal. You're the owner of the module. If you think
it's not the way it should be feel free to kick it in the bin.

BM