[Bf-committers] TIFF support - submitted patch #2995

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Sep 4 15:33:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

Can you provide information how much the tiff library would add to our
distribution binary size? Or, would it be possible to dynamically link
with it, like for yafray or quicktime now, based on dlopen linking (so
no dependency)...?

I've always been extremely cautious with adding libraries to Blender.
Increasing our binary sizes with 20-30% just for just a single feature
easily goes out of control. Especially if you look at all the current
projects for example;

- OpenEXR
- Fluid dynamics
- Nurbana
- Ffmpg
- Verse
- Bullet
- ....?

We also can't afford to make each of such libraries optional, there's a
real benefit in keeping a single functional & officially supported
release.

An alternative, like making all these libraries dynamic (including
current libs like Python, FTGL, etc), and providing a "library
installer" we could consider... but this is an invitation for a very
nasty can of worms of installation, maintenance, testing & support
issues.

Oh, and last note; can we then also read/write 16 bits per channel
tiff? It's used a lot for defining high definition displacement maps
(like ZBrush).

-Ton-