[Bf-committers] TIFF support - submitted patch #2995

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Sep 4 14:57:57 CEST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I know we already have TIFF file support via QuickTime.  However, on
some platforms this can be problematic (for myself under Linux, for
example).

I have uploaded a patch (#2995) to the tracker that adds TIFF support
using libtiff:
    http://www.libtiff.org/

The patch supports reading a wide range of TIFF files via the
"RGBAImage" high level support in the libtiff library.  Writing of RGB,
RGBA and greyscale images is supported directly, using 8 bits per
channel in each case.  Images are compressed using the "deflate"
compression algorithm.

Currently, if applied, the patch will require libtiff as a dependency.
However, I can change it to optionally compile if that is a better option.

Jonathan Merritt.