py drawing to 3dview (Re: [Bf-committers] User-defined Material Properties)

Greg MacDonald gtmacdonald at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:29:25 CEST 2005

Hi Everyone,

I assume you're directing these comments to me, because its under my old
thread name. I just wanted to inform you that someone else should pick up
the torch because I've decided not to contribute. I think the most important
thing Blender needs to do right now is replace the internal data model with
an extensible, object oriented design. I also believe strongly that the game
engine should not be a part of the main Blender project. That people are
devoting tons of energy to the former and not the latter, indicates to me
that the project is driven by something other than the best interests of the
end-users.

Maya is fully extensible has a rock solid design because its been rewritten
multiple times, and it costs virtually nothing compared to what my company
currently pays for Creator. After seeing Blender's internals, I can't put my
career on the line recommending it.

If Maya can be rewritten, Blender can too. And be done in a way that all the
old scripts still work the same. I know you paid a lot for that C program,
but now that you have everyone's attention you surely can muster the troops
for a rewrite. If I were to rewrite Blender, I'd probably end up doing it
from scratch and then porting pieces over to the new framework. But I have a
job and don't have time. Its really not a one man project.

This is my honest professional opinion. I offer it not to be mean, but with
the hope someone can do something constructive with it. If I wanted to be
mean, I would've said something like, "You can't polish a turd." But
fortunately for you I'm not like that.

Best of luck.

-Greg