[Bf-committers] User-defined Material Properties

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Fri Oct 14 03:01:46 CEST 2005

Greg MacDonald wrote:
(...)
> I was talking about the ability for python to create individual gui
> elements like a new context button with an icon, then a new panel, then
> a new button inside the panel. I was asking if this functionality is
> needed with categorized general properties. I'm thinking not.

Ah, ok. I guess this depends completely on how the button layouts will
be handled.

Simply giving BPython access to properties (add, delete, read, edit), +-
like it is now, mimicking what a user can do via Blender's UI, is a
clean way to do that. This leaves all gui layout matters to Blender
code. If this is ok, then there's really no reason for anything else via
BPython.

Using an improved version of the current system (see properties in Logic
buttons win) fits well with this, since the button sets have fixed
dimensions and new properties are simply added below the last addition.

For more control over the layouts, though, either:

1) Python code (probably in callbacks) to create / place gui elements or
2) some simple xml format to define these guis

would work well. The first option is more like things already are,
besides being a way to have #2 easily, too -- using Python itself, to
parse the xml data into py code.

--
Willian