[Bf-committers] Re: listener object

Martin DeMello martindemello at gmail.com
Thu May 12 13:46:37 CEST 2005

On 5/12/05, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's still on a technical level dude. :)
> Whatfor? What will users do with it?

In general, it will let third party applications with complex UIs
interact with Blender at a
'database' level. It'd probably let SPE run without blocking Blender,
for instance. Another benefit is it'll let python scripts simulate
running large tasks in the background - they could hand over data to
an external daemon and then be retriggered when it is done processing.
(This would let me, for instance, run gimp artistic filters as the
last stage of a blender render, and launch the gimp transparently from
inside blender without blocking it).

> And why isn't there a relation to 'an area in Blender'. Is it not UI related?

Well, it's not really UI related - the UI will be supplied by the
external program; Blender will just provide the "world" with which it
is interacting. e.g. in the app we're currently developing, the user
picks out or designs a colour scheme in an entirely different program,
then clicks a button and sees the building in his Blender window
update itself to reflect the new scheme.

> (And that focus thing already was solved, please check on my text on
> the 'animated UI' and the diagram!)

Aaah! I misunderstood that the first time around - it's clear now. Very nice.

martin