[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes May 1 + todo for release

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri May 6 14:59:36 CEST 2005

Hi,

>>> Are the softbodies still considered WIP and open to proposals and
>>> changes, or has it basically been locked off now?
>>
>> My suggestion would be that in time we might find ideas how to
>> present  such a system better for users.
>
> Ok, to rephrase my question more specifically, if I can find the time
> to write a review doc within the next week about this sort of thing,
> will it be seriously considered? Or is this decided "finished"
> already?

Go ahead! The WIP part is not so much in the simulation code, that
seems to be pretty OK. So if you mean issues like how to present it
(buttons, names, layout)?

We also need an excellent doc + tuto on this. Once you get the picture
(mental model :) it's not too bad. Crucial to understand I think is 2
issues;

- Goal Springs
   Which provides "stifness" and "damping" towards original vertex
positions.
   Works with vertex weights.
- Edge Springs
   Which provides same for keeping original edge lengths.

The global "Friction" (in media) is also what currently the "Wind"
force works with.
The global "RKL" is the hardest to grasp... it's derived from a builtin
error detecting algorithm which tries to give quality results.

For the values as you have to put in forcefields... we choosed to keep
it as compliant as possible with how currently the particles work with
it, which isn't the most intuitive interface either.

> The last thing I heard about the softbodies was "it's WIP, things are
> still being added, we'll work on the interface later when it's all
> there", but now with this talk of release, it seems like this side of
> things is has been quite neglected. An attitude of "the feature is
> done when the code compiles and has no bugs, regardless of how usable
> it is for people" is not a healthy one, and it would be  very
> disappointing if this is the case here.

On IRC (a lot) and weekly irc meetings (can find in the minutes too)
we've regularly discussed ways to improve how the UI will work with
softbody. The current implementation is definitely more usable than the
first.
The users that tested it complained initially about the total
abstraction presented, and after working with it they came back with
"it's actually pretty understandable, once you tried".

I think Jens Ole really did a tremendous piece of work, on a complex
topic something that only few people really can do. He was challenged
by me (and others) all the time to keep things usable & accessible for
artists. Presuming we neglect that because we're happy "it compiles"
isn't very nice...

-Ton-