[Bf-committers] Meeting minutes summary March 13th 2005

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Mar 14 23:45:17 CET 2005

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for the minutes. :)
It's a fun read, but a bit too long and too much about "who said what".
The text could limit more to the actual actions and decisions as were  

> 1)Meeting minutes for external sites
> Tom Musgrove wanted to know whether it would be acceptable to have the
> meeting minutes sent to Linux Weekly News.  Ton suggested that
> 'Development Digests' like those that were done on a monthly basis by
> Nathan Letwory would be more appropriate. Tom volunteered to do start
> doing the development digests.

That's on OK text.

> 2)Requirements for getting code committed in releases
> Ton felt that 'new functionality in blender all should be in CMS
> before releases' and preferred it be done either the coders submitting
> the new functionality, or it being the responsibility of the coders to
> find someone to do the documentation.  A minimal requirement would be
> a text explanation of what it does and how it works, sample images and
> screen shots, and a blend file to be used for regression tests.
> Martin Poirier stated that the documentation needs to be done earlier
> and not at the last minute, 'so we don't wait for release docs when
> code is release ready'.  Martin also requested that if possible it
> would also be nice to have video demonstrations of the new
> functionality in action.
> For video demonstrations Tom Musgrove suggested wink for usage on  
> windows
> http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
> which can output to flash videos or png (which can then be turned into
> video with blenders sequencer).
> Also a brief reminder that developers who have code/projects they are
> working on should either update the wiki with their projects status
> http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/ProjectStatusPage
> or contact Chris Burt or JLuc Peuriere with the status of their code
> and they will update it for you.  Python scripts do not need to be in
> the project status page, however Ton emphasized that they DO need
> documentation (the py-doc plus screenshots should usually be
> adequate.)

This is too long... what exactly has been decided now?

- Meeting agrees on requirement for CMS webpage per relevant added  
- CMS page also for python scripts that get bundled in releases
- Reminder to upgrade the wiki ProjectStatusPage

Think thats it. :)

> 3)Current Projects – New Transform
> According to Martin Poirier the new code has about 90% of the
> functionality of the old code.  Still missing are shrink/fatten, free
> rotate, 'extrude by vector', and moving the camera in camera view, and
> assorted api work for exposing constraints, and context. Ton will do
> pose mode and dependency update related work, and cameragrab.  Ton
> stated that new transform code should should now be the default
> compile.  Emilie Brown will help Martin with the documentation of the
> new Transform functionality.

OK, all actions! Could be bulleted...

> 4)Current Projects – OpenEXR
> Ton stated that while supporting an open hidef image format is
> desirable 'it should be properly wrapped in a C library' and that 'we
> have to keep all exr dependencies external' - 'it should either work
> like quicktime, or as static lib'.  For now 'OpenEXR goes back to the
> drawing board, to design a good compiling lib for blender first'.

OK... but the quotes smell a bit like you didn't really know what todo  
with it.
I'll help next time wording the tech stuff better. :)

> 5)Current Projects – HEMesh
> Joe Eager states that his HEMesh work is going well and is currently
> waiting on feedback from JLuc Peuriere on what 'major rewrites' will
> be needed.  Ton queried whether it was ready for conclusion in
> tuhopuu.  It was decided that JLuc will review the code this week and
> then a decision on suitability for inclusion on tuhopuu will be made
> at the next meeting.


> 6)Bug Tracker
> It was noted that the majority of bug reports in the tracker (or that
> have been moved to a separate tracker) fall in three categories 1)
> OpenGL compatibility issues with video accelerator cards both on Linux
> and Windows 2) Game Engine 3) Python
> Python – not much was said regarding the python bug count other than
> it is of concern to Ton

Not much info here... not much was decided to do either.

> OpenGL - For OpenGL issues there is a need for individuals who are
> capable in OpenGL and who have access to the cards that have problems
> (ATI on Windows and Linux).  Ton stated that OpenGL is 'easy'.  Martin
> Poirier has the OpenGL Redbook on his Amazon.com wishlist (it was
> pointed out that it can be downloaded in PDF or html format here -
> http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book_1.0/ )
> Christ Burt and Emilie Brown will try learning OpenGL to try and
> contribute in that respect, but other developers are strongly
> encouraged to do so.  (Ton claims it is easier to learn and use than
> python.  Also Blender only uses widely supported OpenGL so just
> version 1.2 of the API is sufficient)

Too much text... it's a description of a talk between people, not so  
important for minutes?
First line would have been sufficient.

> Game Engine- There is really only one active developer of the game
> engine, Kester Maddock, and a single part time developer is not
> sufficient to maintain the game engine.  A number of suggestions were
> made about 'what to do about the game engine problem'.  Suggestions
> ranged from – issue a call for developers, to temporary removal, to
> complete removal, to potentially integrating a different open source
> engine.  Jens Ole Wund noted that 'i don't see much difference between
> a good physics driven animation system and a game engine'.  Ton
> believes that Kester needs to be consulted before any decision is
> made.
> If separation does happen, sufficient code for doing things like
> walkthroughs will be kept in the main blender tree.

Sorta OK... but since no action was decided, it could have been omitted.

(Discussed with Tom already, will help next time reviewing text again!)


Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org  

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list