[Bf-committers] Booleans library as Summer of Code Project

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sat Jun 11 07:55:13 CEST 2005

Matt Ebb wrote:

> On 11/06/2005, at 01:27 AM, Maurizio Monge wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i am an italian university student in maths,
>> and i have been already thinking for some time
>> about writing a library to handle mesh intersections,
>> subtractions, etc...,
>

> FYI, someone on elysiun.com has been working for a while on booleans
> in python, with the aim of bringing it to C inside Blender
> eventually. I don't know how far through he is, but it may be worth
> checking out; http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29200
>
> Cheers

Hi Maurizio,
I also had a look at libGTS a while back- I actually made a plugin that
exported 2 mesh objects- Used lib GTS for boolean and then  imported the
results.

End result was that the Booleans went much better then Blenders, and yes
I got it to crash too.

As far as Booleans in Blender goes, there have been 2 projects Im aware
of that were Better then Blenders Booleans.
But they are not finished, And Who knows, mabe next year they still wont
be finished (In Blender as geed quality C Code).

A realy nice Boolean for python is megabool - Theodore K Schundler
(tschundler at scu.edu) - But I managed to crash it too as well as make it
prodece odd  meshes.
Laurence did booleans in Blender (was developing it anyway)
laurencebourn at hotmail.com

You could email them and ask for details on there chance of finishing etc.

As far as knowing blenders internals, Id say you could learn enough of
Blenders internals to code Booleans in a resionable timeframe.
(mabe sombody else want to comment?)

Realy good booleans that work with Vertex colours- UV Maps and Images
etc are currently still far away from anything that is currently
developed, so it could be a good summer of code project IMHO.

Maurizio, trying to fill you in a bit. but there are people on this list
that could give you more detailed info about different aspects.
Good luck!
- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton