[Bf-committers] Not happy with Tracker cleanup

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Jun 3 13:44:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've made this decision... we have to face the simple fact the game
engine is not in active support now. Having a bug tracker showing a
load of issues we cannot solve is extremely demotivating. Same goes for
the OpenGL issue tracker, there a lot of - unfortunately unsolvable -
reports are moved into as well.

As you might have noticed, almost all Blender bugs are very well
handled, it's something I really put a lot of time in, as a quality
mark for the software. I like to see results of such efforts, and get a
clear overview of pending issues we need to work on still.

Don't forget, I was the person who wanted an engine in Blender, it was
always my dream of how a 3d application could get real added value.
That this aspect doesn't work well we already found out in the NaN
days, and now again in Open Source. Don't know why really... probably
this idea is just too innovative or too much misunderstood.

So, a possible removal of the engine would hurt my deepest feelings,
but might be the only way to move forward. A discussion on that topic I
try to treat as positive as possible, achieving - also for engine users
- something everyone benefits from. I was also very happy with the new
'game engine team' who started a wiki section, but from them I've seen
no results or proposals for how to solve issues yet...

http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderwiki/GameEngineSeperation

-Ton-