[Bf-committers] Ray option make slow render with scene using only shadow buffer lamps

Stephane SOPPERA stephane.soppera at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 23 16:23:38 CET 2005

> Since nobody seem to have a clue, I'll have to invistigate that myself.

Ok,

I'm done with my invistigation.
The slowdown comes from the following function in
source/blender/renderconverter/intern/convertBlenderScene.c file:
static void set_fullsample_flag(void)
{
    VlakRen *vlr;
    int a, trace;

    trace= R.r.mode & R_RAYTRACE;

    for(a=R.totvlak-1; a>=0; a--) {
        vlr= RE_findOrAddVlak(a);

        if(vlr->mat->mode & MA_FULL_OSA) vlr->flag |= R_FULL_OSA;
        else if(trace) {
            if(vlr->mat->mode & MA_SHLESS);
            else if(vlr->mat->mode & (MA_RAYTRANSP|MA_RAYMIRROR|MA_SHADOW))
                vlr->flag |= R_FULL_OSA;
        }
    }
}

You can notice in this function that as soon as ray button is on (trace
is TRUE), if the material has the "MA_SHADOW" flag (meaning it can
receive shadows), then the material is considered to be FULL_OSA.

That explains the slow down. If I manually flag the two materials in my
test scene with "Full OSA" and render them then it will take one minute
even if Ray is not pushed, instead of the 10 seconds.

That also explain what Alexander has seen for textures that looked
crispier when "Ray" is on.

So Jean was right, for most materials (since the shadow button is
usually pushed) having Ray pushed make them rendered "Full OSA" even if
the option is not set.

I can't find the documentation about "Full OSA" so I don't know if this
behavior is wanted or not.
Where is it in the release logs Jean?

Moreover, I don't know if most user want this "automatic" full OSA.
Personnaly I'd like to have the choice without having to composite my
scene with a specific pass for ray-traced shadows were I render them
with basic (ie not textured) materials. Can't ray-traced shadows be
rendered in "Full OSA" without the material itself be rendered this way
(textures would only be evaluated once).?

Stéphane