[Bf-committers] Re: OpenGl in windowsVista ... bad news....

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 05:33:17 CEST 2005

Joseph Hanna wrote:

>Um I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but the /. ppl seem not
>to worry too much about this because it is their belief that it is
>actually the graphics cards manufacturers who provide the required
>OpenGl drivers. Hence why things like Doom3 continue to play
>comfortably.
>
>So is this still bad news for us?

AFAICT...

Since Blender provides its own GUI, it can go into the full-screen "by
pass the windowing system" mode, as described on /. and elsewhere,
thereby achieving full OpenGL capabilities with vendor-supplied
drivers.  The problems appear to arise for apps that combine normal
Windoze GUI with OpenGL (like 3DSMax, etc...).  Still, I suppose there
are still many uncertainties here.

Jonathan Merritt.