[Bf-committers] Scons 0.96.90 is not compatible with blender

D.J. Capelis djcapelisp at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 16:29:38 CEST 2005

An annoying bug sprung up recently with some people where the directories is
the build_dir were not correctly created.  After a bit of prodding at perfectly
good code I looked at the sf.net bug tracker for scons and found this:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1217296&group_id=30337&atid=398971

Seems to describe the problem perfectly.

This leaves us with two options:
1) Do not use scons 0.96.90, downgrade to the next version down.  0.96.1 does
not contain this problem.  However, everyone wanting to build blender would
need to know this.  If anyone can figure out a good cross-platform way to
detect the version of scons running and print big warning that's a way of doing
this.
2) Implement a dirty hack to create the directory if it isn't there, a bit of
kludgy python could take care of this if needed, but do we want to hack around
scons or should we wait until they fix it?

I think I've got a decent way to hack around it, but I wasn't sure if we really
wanted to put dirty code into the SConstruct file over a version-specific bug.
It wouldn't be a problem really except it happens to be the latest version.
Should the workaround be put in and taken out later or should we all just avoid
this version and try and make sure everyone else does too?

~D.J. Capelis~
Network Security and Cryptography Researcher.
Founder of SGA