[Bf-committers] Scons 0.96.90 is not compatible with blender

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sat Aug 6 18:57:45 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 07:29:38AM -0700, D.J. Capelis wrote:

> Seems to describe the problem perfectly.
>
> This leaves us with two options:
> 1) Do not use scons 0.96.90, downgrade to the next version down.  0.96.1 does
> not contain this problem.  However, everyone wanting to build blender would
> need to know this.  If anyone can figure out a good cross-platform way to
> detect the version of scons running and print big warning that's a way of doing
> this.
> 2) Implement a dirty hack to create the directory if it isn't there, a bit of
> kludgy python could take care of this if needed, but do we want to hack around
> scons or should we wait until they fix it?

According to the scons website, The current official release of SCons
is 0.96.1.  Since that works, that is what we should be using.

Version 0.96.90 is described as a testing pre-release in preparation
for 0.97..  This is not something we should be basing our official
builds on.  We certainly doon't want to be hacking around for bugs
that will (presumably) get fixed in the official release.

In the past, the scons guys have been quite good about bugfixing and
and compatibility.  When we had a problem before from using an
undocumented internal interface, they jumped right on it.  Most
impressive.

Bottom line: use 0.96.1 until the official 0.97 version comes out.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net