[Bf-committers] BOAL idea. . something really, really needed

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Sun Sep 12 03:19:29 CEST 2004

Hi.  Due to the horrible mess of the way Blender handles objects, I have
decided to (in my own sources) create a Blender Object Abstraction Layer
(BOAL) to use with my new CSG object.

BOAL is a Blender internal C++ library I'm designing that will be able
to implement new objects in Blender without breaking SDNA.  This will be
implemented as a new object "type" as to avoid messing up Blender.

Among other things, this could be the start of a General Blender Plugin
API, as it would (hopefully) be trivial to modify Blender to allow
dynamically loaded Object plug-ins!

So, what do you think?  It'll take me a while to get the exact speifics
(there is a LOT of little functions each object class will have to
implement, and I have to find all of them. . .*sigh*), so it'll be a
while before I can make an actual code-feature proposal.

joeedh

P.S.: And please don't say this is a Blender 3.0 thing. . .the current
system is really, really inadequate.