[Bf-committers] Selecting Vertice

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Oct 19 16:22:33 CEST 2004

Hi,

Such a sticky border select mode isn't very nice, like circle selection
which is annoying that it keeps hanging. Without altering the current
fast workflow in Blender, I think we can add some presets to tweak
preferred actions with mouse buttons like this:

Apart from middle mouse, we can call the other two mouse buttons the
"Select button" and the "Action button" or so. That's RightMouse and
LeftMouse now, respectively. For these we already use three gesture
possibilities:

a) Click-release
b) Click-hold-drag
c) Click-hold-still

And of course with or without modifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl)

Here's a grid with the possibilites. The (*) marked ones could become a
user choice

-------
                   |  Click-release   |   Click-hold-drag    |
Click-hold-still
-------
Select Button     |  Select          |   select+grabber     | * toolbox
or
      + SHIFT      |  extend select   |                      | * border
select or
      + CTRL       |  object select   |                      | * circle
select
      + ALT        |  loop select     |
--------
Action Button     |  3D cursor       | * gestures or        | * toolbox
  or
       +SHIFT      |  ?               | * border select or   | * border
select or
       +CTRL       |  Add point       | * lasso select or    | * circle
select or
       +ALT        |  Middlemouse -   | * circle select or   | * grabber
                   |    emulation     | * grabber            |
--------

Not all combinations are possible always though. Like gesture or lasso
should better not start with click-hold-still :)
Also, the Select button + drag better not switch to new modes too.
That's asking for accidents.

-Ton-