[Bf-committers] Boat mode for WAVES effect

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Nov 20 13:20:48 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Daniel Fairhead wrote:

>> http://pub.instinctive.de/waves2.avi
>
> Wow intrr, this would be great in 2.26. Is it only a fixed point, or could you add diametre and the option of sphere, cube, etc? Or even use the bounding shape of the boat object?
>
> Anyway. This looks wonderful.

Thanks a lot.

It would be pretty straightforward to use use the vertices of the boat object.

I'm not sure what it would look like, but with high subdivision levels, probably
quite convincing.

The problem though is that it will become that many times as slow. 10 vertices
= 10 times as slow, etc. - and evaluating faces i don't know how to do.

However, as most of the time the 'boat' object's geometry will cover the
point where the waves originate anyway, people probably won't notice easily
it's just a single point that causes the waves.

So, *my* vote would be - just put it in, it's a nice addition. It can be
perfected by other coders later (or rewritten, like evil Ton with my poor
undo!)