[Bf-committers] Edge select ?

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:01:52 +0200 (CEST)

From: Stephen Swaney <sswaney@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Edge select ?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 04:57:42 -0500

> Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> I think the confusion here is due to my limited English...
> >
> > I fire up xev.
> > I move the mouse cursor over the window of xev
> > I press CTRL ... I see events
> > I press ALT ... I see events
> > I press RMB ... I see events
> >
> > When pressing the combo (as I would when I select edges) I see on each
> > pressing (I cannot press all keys _exactly_ at the same time) an event.
> >

> The question was about seeing specific events.  Not events
> in general.
>
> Running xev with my window manager ( fluxbox ), when I press
> ALT-LMB I see a Keypress for pressing ALT, but I do NOT see the
> expected ButtonPress event for the LMB because the window manager
> is catching it.
>
> If an application was waiting for ALT-LMB, it would never see
> the button down event.

  Hmmm....

  I really try to get rid of the chaos in my head...;) but...

  I fired up xev again and try to extract only those events, which
  directly correspond to my ALT-CTRL-RMB-pressing. Here they are:

    LeaveNotify event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
      root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 5562456, (70,127), root:(825,151),
      mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
      focus NO, state 1036

    EnterNotify event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 5562456, (70,127), root:(825,151),
        mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor, same_screen YES,
        focus NO, state 1036

    KeymapNotify event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
        keys:  72  0   0   0   32  0   0   0   1   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
               0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0

    ButtonPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 5562456, (70,127), root:(825,151),
        state 0xc, button 3, same_screen YES

    ButtonRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
        root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 5562671, (70,127), root:(825,151),
        state 0x40c, button 3, same_screen YES

 They happen in that moment, when I press RMB (I had pressed ALT and
 CTRL before)

 I additionally tried xkeycaps to see wether X "sees" my ALT and CTRL
 keys (but I was nearly before: This email is written with Emacs and
 Emacs Without _E_sc _M_eta _a_lt _c_trl _s_hift is __really__ nothing
 ;)

 XKeycaps painted the ALT and the CTRL key yellow on its keyboard
 schematics... so xkeycaps gets those events.

 Additionally pressing RMB does not lead to anything...but this beyond
 the scope of xKEYcaps...;)

 Why does CTRL-ALT-RMB does not work on all WindowManagers I tried
 (TWM,MWM,IceWM,WMI,LarsWM) and even without any WindowManager it does
 not work.

 Looks like XFree 4.40 uses other decodings ???????

 Meino