[Bf-committers] VILLMER

Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:15:20 +0200

Hi,

Our Blender player (with game engine) currently uses ActiveX (Windows)
and Netscape (Linux) for integration with a browser, to act as a
plugin. In the past we had talks with Apple people on replacing ActiveX
with the Quicktime facilities. The benefit of using Quicktime could be
that some third party (like you!) just makes sure such an integration
is coded well, and endorsed/distributed via apple.com, bypassing
complicated security issues (Verisign) but especially being responsible
for support.

We are still in the process of trying to get the engine development
back in control. Although we can safely support the standalone player,
doing that for the web plugin still isn't feasible (and I think not
even desirable) to support from within the Blender Foundation or
blender.org projects. Here a potentially viable (commercial)
open-source project is possible for a third party to pick up. :)
If you or someone in the company likes to discuss this further, just
contact me!

-Ton-