[Bf-committers] undo fun :)

D.J. Capelis bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 13:57:50 -0700 (PDT)

I remember asking someone to implement a
functionality similar to this in blender soon
after the creation of the funboard... well, glad
to hear it took hold anyways, it was that initial
period in which everything was pretty crazy.  (I
think I suggested something similar except
figured using CVS/RCS to hold the files might be
cleaner and better.)

The one thing present in what I suggested that
you didn't seem to do was the idea of easily
extending such a method of undo to create the
ability for full branching undo.  It seemed to me
at the time to be a fairly trivial addition to
the system, I assume the same concept could be
added to your patch fairly easily... (The hardest
part would be the interface changes to take
advantage of the branching undo functionality)

Anyways, sounds like a wonderful patch, if I
wasn't on vacation I'd test it myself.

~D.J. Capelis~
Network Security and Cryptography Researcher
Maintainer of FOML:  http://foml.inodetech.com

--- Ton Roosendaal <ton@blender.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Couldn't resist trying a hackish idea for undo
> as almost exists for
> ages:
> Idea was to (ab)use the quick file read/write
> feature Blender has. For
> each undo step it saves a file in the Blender
> temp directory.
>
> I've tried .blend files up to 5 MB, and that's
> still behaving OK. The
> most obvious negative side effects are of
> course recreating
> displaylists and drawing lists for particles,
> which all happens 'on
> load'. Also a bit 'weird' is that it completely
> restores everything,
> including UI changes.
>
> To keep the test simple I've only added undo in
> the transform() for
> now. Also only works in Object Mode. Use UKEY
> and SHIFT+UKEY. In the
> console you can see test prints.
>
> Didn't commit it, since we're in freeze, so I
> add the patch to this
> mail. :)
> You can see it's very little code with a nice
> cycling list usage. Apply
> the patch in source/blender/src, there are no
> include file changes.
>
> -Ton-
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-gzip
x-unix-mode=0644; name=undo.patch.gz