[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editobject.c

Matthew H Plough bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:42:12 -0400

<BODY><P></P>
<P><STRONG>Fabrizio wrote:</STRONG><BR>&gt; Could we at least have the option to numerically place the cursur <BR>&gt; throughthe N panel when nothing is selected? As it is, being able <BR>&gt; to use the cursur <BR>&gt; as an exact tool is not available as a primary OR secondary feature. </P>
<P>No, we can't.&nbsp; This is yet another giant, horrible workflow hack.&nbsp; While Blender is a giant code hack, it works correctly, and provides a smooth, elegant, and *fast* workflow using a minimalist set of tools.&nbsp; There aren't exceptions to rules; for the most part everything is consistent.&nbsp; To see what I mean, take 3ds max as an example.&nbsp; You have to have a different hotkey for extruding meshes, curves, and surfaces -- that's three hotkeys as opposed to Blender's one -- all for the same operation!&nbsp; If we start introducing odd exceptions to how the N panel works, how grabbing works, and the like, then we accomplish nothing in the way of furthering a professional tool.&nbsp; Blender started out as a professional tool, and it&nbsp;needs to stay that way.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Matt</P></BODY>