[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editobject.c

car bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:05:16 -0400

> Hi,
>
> I think the past discussion already gave sufficient hints why this
> feature has issues. Check on what Matt wrote for example.
>
> Not everything anyone can think of in Blender is per definition good,
> and not anything that's offered as code is per definition good to
> include. In the beginning of open source Blender we were hardly
> critical on this, which was OK during such a startup phase. But at a
> certain moment design and purpose should become valued more. This
> prevents feature bloat, and prevents Blender from getting too many
> overlapping methods to do the same.
>
> One of the things Blender always did good, was offering a the minimal
> but coherent & comprehensive set of tools, which are fast to access
> and create a good workflow. Many of such design decisions were made
> purposedly and conscious in the past (mostly be me yes). I am also not
> so interested in what people find in general 'good workflow', but
> interested in *creating* a specific workflow, which has to be learnt
> to appreciate well.
> One of these design concepts was to always try to provide a non-exact,
> interactive & visual toolset. No axis-awareness (x-axis, y, z), no
> coordinate awareness (typing in location/size/rot for adding object),
> and no scale awareness (we have the "blender unit").
>
> That's giving a nice focus for designing features (and I'm the first
> to admit many things in Blender don't do well still). But it's not an
> axioma; when exact editing is needed (like exact rotation around exact
> location) you should have the tools to do so. But it's secondary, and
> not primary like in most CAD tools.
>
> The 3d cursor in Blender is an aid to visualize 'here's where the new
> object is added'. You add the object, start modeling it, exit editmode
> and transform the object to where you like to have it. Another use for
> the cursor is to use as rotation/scale center. Here the 'snap to' menu
> is useful to give it exact locations (if you need).
>
> The 3d cursor is a builtin 3d window feature, which can even differ
> per window (check localview for example). It's not a 3d object, and
> not something you model. Being consistant in tools for accessing it
> has a meaning and is useful. Invoking cursor grab with Gkey whith
> nothing selected is just abuse. Or first grabbing some object, and
> press Ckey the same. So even if you like such a feature, invoking it
> should be done different.
>
> Using the transform() code for it was just code with added exceptions.
> And although more hackish/inappropriate features are there (like
> creases edit), such things are really needed, and can be nicely
> integrated on a next version of the code.
>
> Lastly; Intrr knew that I had severe doubts on the feature. So it was
> not meant to be committed at all. We agreed to only commit code in
> parts you know is endorsed by original author, or is part of the
> module assigned to you.

> [...]

Is power going to your head? :P

I won't say if I care or not for the feature since it is gone anyway.
It is wise to not start breaking ties between your coders you have so
few losing even just one will be a hit on development. Please try to
compromise at the very least shortcuts or whatnot. It seems you want
the program to be in your image from this letter, you will find a lot
of people do not see this way of your vision perhaps a long letter on
the development page outlining your goal and objectives for this should
be posted. You like all of this manager type of jobs and long detailed
proposals, it should be fun for you :D

In short we came here to use the app to our methods, if it were a pay
for app then we would expect a cleaner working flow of operations in
this app, but as it is now it is suppose to be fun and chock full of
new items be it small or large they are features no one has.

Now that said, is it time for a new branch? A new clean super
experimental branch that can have anything in it anything at all even a
new back-end base and have it so experimental that there is no support
for older files, and to try and strive to create the mysterious Blender
V. 3.0? I know of tuhopuu but it seems to rely on BF too much.