[Bf-committers] patch - bf-blender Sel Same ___

Campbell Barton bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:33:56 +1000

Hi, I dont mean to flog my own features but I spent all of yesterday
modeling and UV mapping a 3 story office building.
I used the Sel Same features from my recent patch a LOT.
They are a realy usefull way to tag diferent faces as being used for
diferent things.

for eg-
I made  > 40 windows in the building.
Now normaly with blender would wouldent be able to select every lower
window ledge with 3 steps (youd have to manually select each one)
But I was able to to it with.

* Select 1 ledge (Make active)
* Sal same area (0.001) >  Selects both top and bottom of the window sill.
* Invert selection
* Add The top (now unselected) sill to the selection
* Sel same normal (all top sills are selected)
* Invert Sel (now only the bottom sills are selected)

This sounds complex but its heaps times faster then manually selecting
each one.

Also as I selected each group I gave each a unique vert colour so If I
want so go an select all the floor faces I just select one and then do a
SelSameVcol, very nifty

I had a look and there is no missuse of Char arrays like my last patch
so could sombody review this?

PS- I do only modelling/texturing for realtime use, these features are
very usefull for dealing with UV mapping and assigning images to larger
selections of faces then its possible to manually deal with.

- Cam