[Bf-committers] Realtime booleans

Campbell Barton bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:59:29 +1000

Hi, I have been thinking about the possibility of having booleans in
blender that are dynamic- like metaballs.
They would need to support uv-mapping, vert colours and materials.

Today I was making a building where I needed to add and remove windows
(that had uv-mapped bricks around the walls)
The whole process would be heaps quicker if I could have a cube and then
just boolean many holes in it, adding and moving windows would be so
quick compared to manually cutting holes and patching them up.

This should be imp[limented in object mode with mesh's only, when a mesh
was moved/animated the bool's would be recalculated- There cold be
options to disable auto-updating since this would make blender chug on
large mesh's (when you move them)

I have been toying with my own boolean code (the existing code is cludgy
and adds verts to faces that dont even intersect the other mesh)
If I get this working in Python, Id like to re-implement it in C/Blender
and add realtime boolean support...

(dynamic bools would be cool for animations too!)
What thinks ye fellow blender'ers?
- cam