[Bf-committers] Re: Scripts in menus - update

GSR - FR bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:51:58 +0100

kattkieru@yahoo.com (2004-01-20 at 1655.14 -0800):
> On linux I like the idea of the hidden directory, but on Mac OS X I

There must be some communiaction problem or lack of effort to check
the typical Unix way, cos I am not saying that the hidden dir is the
only way, just part of a nice and typical method:

- visible and common directory -> machine wide shared
- hidden directory in $HOME -> user only

If something is not compatible from one version to another, make
subdirs or add versioning. The app should go first to the common
place, then to the user files, so user can override. As Blender has
configurable paths, it should not be hard to get the idea working, the
main problem is that the app does not go against it directly, or
implements it poorly.

And in MacOSX, a similar concept applies, global files and personal
files, just cosmetic differences. Any multiuser OS could (should?) do
it.

GSR