[Bf-committers] CSG + gcc = problems

Brecht Van Lommel bf-committers@blender.org
19 Feb 2004 18:00:20 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 16:19, Laurence Bourn wrote:
> Yeah, Do I detect quiet disappointment:?) The algorithm still has someway to
> go to really reduce the number of polygons in the output. BUT in its defence it
> is more robust, faster and a much simpler algorithm and cleaner more flexible
> implementation.  I hope that I will be able to build on this code in future
> releases and improve the algorithm some what.

I'm not disappointed, it's not like I ever model anything in Blender, so
was not waiting for it. I know the algorithms are complicated, and I
understand there is no magic that will resolve all issues with the old
implementation. The main problem is that users will not immediately be
convinced when they do their first tests.

But I really respect what you've done, implemented such a complicated
algorithm, and it's nice to know you still have ideas to improve it. I
guess it was needed to rewrite the code and get it up to the level of
the current implementation to improve it later.

> >I don't have commit access myself, so you'll have to ask someone else.
>
> Is there a good reason why you don't have commit rights? Obviously you know
> what you are doing in the code! Maybe just ask Ton? Or can anyone with rights
> grant it to others?
>
> Excuse my hignorance of CVS but do you know how to role a patch in on wincvs?
> Damned if I can find out how to do this.

I have Tuhopuu commit access, which is just fine for me. I have no idea
on how to apply the patch with wincvs, it may not be possible. Since
you've got cygwin you can do the following (patch must be installed of
course):

patch -p0 < patch_csg.txt

.. in the top directory of the source.

Cheers,