[Bf-committers] Game engine and samples

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Tue Dec 28 01:11:01 CET 2004

Hi Alexander,

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 00:20, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> I have a question regarding the handling of sample data between Blender
> and the game engine:
>
> How is this handled? It currently appears as if the game engine does
> not use the datablocks blender loads anyway, but tries to load them again.
It has to make copies - otherwise the game will modify the Blender scene.  It
also does things like sort mesh data by material for efficient render.

> There's also some kind of wave cache... but I don't understand why it
> would need a wave cache as Blender loads all datablocks after loading a
> .blend file anyway.
I think it is supposed to map sound card data (eg buffer num) to Blender
sample data.

> I guess this is different for the game engine? Does it have its own
I'm not exactly sure for sounds, but it creates it's own scene graph (scenes,
objects, meshes - Converter/*.cpp) from the Blender scene, so that eg
removing an object doesn't remove it from the source file etc.  For textures,
it just calls back to Blender (KX_BlenderRenderTools.cpp)

> Maybe someone can shed some light into this before I try to find out
> myself...
>
> Also, if there's some developer docs for the game engine and its
> data handling lying around somewhere, please point me to it... thanks
There is what is available on blender.org, and the doxygen comments.  Doxygen
will build you class hierarchies and collaboration diagrams if that is useful
to you.

> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

Kester

--
If you took all the students that felt asleep in class and laid them end to
end, they'd be a lot more comfortable.