[Bf-committers] Re: parallaxmap error

Alfredo de Greef eeshlo at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 22:28:32 CET 2004

Chris Burt wrote:
> Also, your comments about normal maps being like
bump
> mapping don't seem
> to be accurate from my tests... They look totally
> different.

I'm sure they do... I'm not particularly an expert on
anything, more quite literally something like 'Jack of
all trades, master of none'...
So take everything I claim with a fistful of salt.
Then again, when normalmaps are created from images, I
really can't see how they are different, since that is
done using a similar method as when calculating
normals from heightmaps at rendertime. Only when
directly encoded from a mesh, I can see that it is
different.
But again, I don't really know what I'm talking about,
so don't listen to anything I say...

Alfredo