[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/intern/SoundSystem/openal SND_OpenALDevice.cpp SND_OpenALDevice.h

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Mon Dec 6 12:02:52 CET 2004

Hi Alexander,

I haven't made much progress since sunday... sluggish movement is probably due
to my decreasing of the Impulse threshold - play around with
SM_Object::ImpulseThreshold in
source/gameengine/Physics/Sumo/Fuzzics/src/SM_Object.cpp.

Smaller values (~ 0) should give less jittering, larger values should give
'faster' movement.  Since this value defines the boundary between collision
and contact, a larger (more negative) value will decrease the collision
impulse for objects that are in contact.  Since friction is directly
proportional to collision normal, they too decrease.

The old value was -10, and it wasn't proportional to mass.  And setting the
ticrate up to 90 Hz is more 2.25 like. (2.25 ran at 100Hz minimum, depending
on CPU speed.)  Note, dropping physics frames seems to be broken at the
moment, so don't set the tic rate too high.

I'll set the physics rate to 90 by default I think, and I've just found a
numerical precision issue (dividing by float too close to zero) which fixes
jittering.  There's still the precision problem that opposing contact forces
(eg on a cube) will cause it to rotate.  Maybe a deadzone will fix that.

Kester

On Monday 06 December 2004 09:07, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Hi Kester,
>
> any update on the Game engine "sluggish movement / jumpy physics" bug
> introduced by one of the last commits? It's unusable in the current
> state :(
>
> (See the reference test file http://pub.intrr.org/game-test4.blend.gz)..
> The player movement doesn't work too well - it worked a few days before,
> and in 2.25 of course...
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
		-- W. Somerset Maugham