[Bf-committers] Re: Re: Linux + Blender faq

Juan J. Pena M. bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 15:57:30 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C477E0.402D3260

First things first: GRS, Why in hell is your aggressiveness level so =
freaking hight?  It seems like if you where under atack or something... =
give me (and take yourself) a break.

Second:  Did you took the time to calmy ready the new WIP?  If you did =
you would have noticed that now it particulary address the Mesa Indirect =
setup, not every freaking Mesa setup out there in the world... and by =
the way, the whole message is "if you can find other options you could =
give them a try, don' t just settle happyly for the bottom of the =
barrel".  You even said yourself  "Mesa indirect, uses software Mesa to =
do everything, should work always, but is going to be slow and based in =
the speed of your CPU,  mem bus, etc."..

Third: " I think no distro provides this (hardware acceleration) out of =
the  box." It is time for you to go and give Suse another look.

Fourth: "Also, your method to discover what the user is running is over =
complicated when compared to just typing "glxinfo" in a terminal inside =
X11".  That is a matter of personal taste. Besides, the method I =
proposed will work in ALL platforms, not just on unix-derived ones.

" You should provide links to ATI, NVidia Linux driver pages and the =
HowTos that exist in the web, for being common cards now, as well as to =
http://dri.sf.net/ & http://www.mesa3d.org/ "  There you are right and =
those links will be included.

"Performance benefit of proprietary drivers is just a generalization. It =
 is not always the fps that counts, but also other quality issues can be =
 there. In the past we did have *loads* of troubles with proprietary  =
drivers, don't forget that."  Point taken, and the quality issues will =
be mentioned.

"You can also forward them to the opengl database we have on our site, =
there they can read field reports on performance of Blender with the =
various configurations."  That is already done, check the " How will my =
card behave" question.

Any other constructive critiques will be wellcome!!

Apollux.

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C477E0.402D3260

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>First things first: GRS, Why in hell is =
your=20
aggressiveness&nbsp;level so freaking hight?&nbsp; It seems like if you =
where=20
under atack or something... give me (and take yourself) a =
break.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Second:&nbsp; Did you took the time to =
calmy ready=20
the new WIP?&nbsp; If you did you would have noticed that now it =
particulary=20
address the Mesa <STRONG>Indirect</STRONG> setup, not every freaking =
Mesa setup=20
out there in the world... and by the way, the whole message is "if you =
can find=20
other options you could give them a try, don' t just settle happyly for =
the=20
bottom of the barrel".&nbsp; You even said yourself &nbsp;"Mesa =
indirect, uses=20
software Mesa to do everything, should work&nbsp;always, <STRONG>but is =
going to=20
be slow</STRONG> and based in the speed of your CPU,&nbsp; mem bus,=20
etc."..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Third: " I think no distro provides =
this (hardware=20
acceleration) out of the&nbsp; box." It is time for you to go and give =
Suse=20
another look.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fourth: "Also, your method to discover =
what the=20
user is running is over&nbsp;complicated when compared to just typing =
"glxinfo"=20
in a terminal inside X11".&nbsp; That is a matter of personal taste. =
Besides,=20
the method I proposed will work in ALL platforms, not just on =
unix-derived=20
ones.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>" You should provide links to ATI, =
NVidia Linux=20
driver pages and the HowTos that exist in the web, for being common =
cards now,=20
as well as&nbsp;to <A href=3D"http://dri.sf.net/"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://dri.sf.net/</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> &amp; =
</FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.mesa3d.org/"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://www.mesa3d.org/</FONT></A>&nbsp;"&nbsp; There you are =
right and=20
those links will be included.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"<FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>Performance=20
benefit of proprietary drivers is just a generalization. It&nbsp; is not =
always=20
the fps that counts, but also other quality issues can be&nbsp; there. =
In the=20
past we did have *loads* of troubles with proprietary&nbsp; drivers, =
don't=20
forget that."&nbsp; Point taken, and the quality issues will be=20
mentioned.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"<FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>You&nbsp;can=20
also forward them to the opengl database we have on our site, =
there&nbsp;they=20
can read field reports on performance of Blender with the various=20
configurations."&nbsp; That is already done, check the " How will my =
card=20
behave" question.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any other constructive critiques will =
be=20
wellcome!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Apollux.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV></FONT>

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C477E0.402D3260--