[Bf-committers] Linux + Blender faq

Kester Maddock bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:50:37 +1200

Hi Juan,

Some other issues I have seen posted on the forums that turn up:
> * Do I need any particular window manager or graphic desktop to run Blender?
>
> No, as long as you have a working X system (Xorg/Xfree86/etc) and a OpenGL
driver (see next question) you should be fine.
> There is no difference from using KDE, GNOME or whatever your desktop
manager might be.

KDE eats Ctrl-TAB (Armature pose-mode) by default to switch desktops.  Change
it in KControl/Regional & Accessibility/Keyboard Shortcuts

* How do I start blender in a window?

blender -w

* I get an error about missing libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

Install the C++ compatibility libraries.
It is compat-libstdc++-*.rpm on Redhat.

[Buildmeister: Is this question still relevant?]

* I get an error about missing the GLX extension

GLX allows blender to access your 3d card and draw to the screen.

Some distributions ship with GLX disabled, add (or uncomment) Load "glx" to
Section "Module" in XF86Config.  This also indicates that you have to setup
your 3d card.

Kester