[Bf-committers] Fwd: Linux Installer for Blender

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:54:05 +0200

Hi!

Unless they allow you to distribute the installer builder itself with the
blender sources you might be in violation of the GPL as outsiders are then
unable to rebuild blender in the form they obtained it. In the worst case the
company which builds the installer might find itself forced to release that
installer under the GPL because they allowed you to use that software for a
GPL project and thus might be considered a part of that. I'm not 100% sure,
though. Better talk to the FSF about it before taking any further actions.

Otherwise I'd say it's wise to settle with rpm, deb and tarball packages. When
the rpm and deb packages are done correctly it'll be much easier for the
users to handle that than a custom installer. AFAIK you can specify indivdual
libs as deps for an rpm file and thus build distribution-agnostic rpms that
work because rpm doesn't check it's database but the file system to determine
if these libs actually exist.

With regard to custom installers (e.g. OO.o and Mozilla) I have to say that
distribution makers actually are working hard to circumvent them. Mozilla is
actually very easy to handle because it knows a "make install" target. And
OO.o comes with lots of (quite) extra scripts in many distros which do the
installer's work on their own when OO.o is started for the first time by this
user (I've seen gentoo and SuSE do that). So installers on linux look more
like a PITA to me. No matter which route you actually choose, keep a backdoor
open.

Regards,
Gregor