[Bf-committers] OOPs Wishlist

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:07:35 -0500

On 14 Apr 2004 at 14:30, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree the Oops system is lacking a lot of functionality.
> There are issues with the display as well, where the blocks just show
> up quite unarranged. The first idea I had - storing fixed locations for
> oops-blocks - might have been a wrong choice, since it is just too much
> work creating a nice diagram manually.
>
> Would be interesting to explore means of automatically generating fixed
> structures instead, which provide easier searching and locating of data.
What would people prefer as a way of organizing the schematic?
storing types in the same location: eg. all images in the same spot,
all meshes in the same location,. or tree structure perhaps, with the
scene oops as the root, or some other way?

> Next thing then to work on is indeed being able to manually assign
> relationships. This not only for parenting, but could work for Meshes,
> Materials, etc. as well.
> The buttons UI code (interface.c) has an example for linking/unlinking
> code. You might want to check this out (copy code and reuse?).
>
> > more display information for each oops object (tooltip?)
>
> What kind of info?
I was thinking about polycounts for meshes, filesizes for images that
sort of thing. I don't know how much metadata there actually is to
display for each kind of object but I'm sure there is more than just
the name. The oops Schematic would be a good place to display that
information I think.

> > creating objects and automatically setting the buttons window to the
> > appropriate view to edit said object
>
> Not sure what the use is here... what 3d location objects will be added
> then?
This would really be more useful for adding materials and textures
and images than anything else. Objects that don't need a spatial
location per se but we might want create a material and assign that
material to a mesh from the oops schematic.