[Bf-committers] UI design problem

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:43:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Yomgui wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During my port of blender 2.2x on Morphos, I've found that the UI
> design, specialy the events managing, is very cpu consuming and badly
> designed... :-(

i see the same problem. just moving the mouse around eats up
a lot of cpu (depending on the architecture of your machine) even
without button push. it would be nice to fix it. what're your ideas?

> I've found many PIL_sleep_ms() and usage of functions to queue events,
> but without consuming them during the sub-loop: with effect to unqueue
> them in the main loop (and block cpu to manage the 256 events for
> nothing)
>
> etc.. etc..
>
> My question is: for futur, will be there a planned redesign of the UI
> events loop ? (globaly, not just the main loop, but everywhere).

i hope, but unless someone does the work, it can't get done. there
are a lot of single user cpu machines out there, it's makes a difference
if you're either multiprocessing, or the leftovers queue operations get in
the way of interactivity....