[Bf-committers] Blender CVS: When can we make collaborativ animation project?

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 11:54:24 -0500

Quoting rama <rama@altern.org>:

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if i'm on a proper list (so don't fire me), but i have a
> suggestion for blender team developpement.
>
> Like CVS, which help people to work together on a same program, Do you
> plan to make a similar system for blender.
>
> For instance, as writer, i can write the story and create basic shape,
> like cube, sphere, ... and make camera movement. A modeler in another
> part of the world, can change my stupid cube by a wonderful car. Another
> change the texture, and so so... In few time we can see, what each other
> done, and animation are make faster.

WARNING: This includes a shameless plug my preferred license for content, the CC
Attribution-ShareAlike License with an additional non-endorsement clause.

That would be very nice.  I'm working on some projects, including a Novel[1]
(which is in its third draft), which I'm working on converting to a screenplay,
and some proof of concept blender animations which will hopefully lead to a full
length feature film animated (hopefully with blender).

I am using the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike license (sort of a "GPL"
for content and media), and would lobby for using it as the default license,
along with additional "non-endorsement" clause prohibiting derivative works and
artists from using the original artist's name to imply endorsement of the
derivative work for purposes of promotion.  Reserving that right allows one, for
example, to grant a particular publisher the right to say they are the official
"published by and paying royalties to the author" publisher, while other
publishers which may publish the same book (like Bantom did with LOTR) will not
be permitted to represent themselves as such.  Those wishing to reward the
author financially will then be able to have clear information on which version
to buy.  More importantly, the non-endorsement clause I added prevents someone
from taking my work, using it in a tasteless porn or neo-nazi propoganda film,
and claiming I endorse such a work.  They can use the material ... the freedom
granted allows it, however much it might annoy me, but they cannot claim I
approved of their usage, or their message.  This license IMHO allows the maximum
amount of freedom, while being certain to give the creator recognition (the
"Attribution" portion of the license), and insuring that all derivative works
remain likewise free a la the GPL (the "Share Alike") portion of the license,
while in turn protecting my own image and reputation, and giving me something of
value to trade to publishers if I'm ever so inclined (the "non-endorsement"
clause I added).

Here is the text of the license notice in my novel
(c.f.
https://expressivefreedom.org/Projects/Autonomy/Episode-01/Book/Draft-03/Autonomy-Freedom-of-Thought-Draft-3-CC.html
)

[quote]
Permission is hereby granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this work under
the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Version 1.0 or
any later version, a copy of which is included in Appendix A of this work, and
is viewable online at http://creativecommons.org/ , with the following added
restriction:

You may not use my name, or any variation thereof, to promote, or imply
endorsement of, any derivative work, or any publication of this work, or any
third party without my express, written permission.

This does not absolve you of the requirement of attribution per the Attribution
clause of the Creative Commons License.
[/quote]

The license itself I have included in an appendix to the book.  I won't list it
here (it is a little verbose), but you can read it at the Creative Commons
website noted above.  Although CC offers many different variations, it would be
nice if the blender community could agree on one particular variation (I would
shamelessly plug the Attribution-ShareAlike variation, with the non-endorsement
clause added, of course), so that we all could use one another's work
interchangably.

For example, I'd love to use a realistic rocket flame to incorporate in my own
work, but the only one I've found is for static images, and has a non-commercial
clause that is too restrictive for my own licensing aims (which is to ignite a
renaissance in media similiar to that which the GPL and GNU/Linux have done for
the software industry).

> If someone can answer me about this project, it will be a great
> pleasure. (it's time to liberise the animation)

I agree 100%.  With the power of cooperation and collaboration having turned a
multi-billion dollar industry on its ear (the software industry), the notion of
doing the same to the media cartels is rather delicious, to put it mildly.

[1]Autonomy - Freedom of Thought: https://expressivefreedom.org/node.php?id=210
[2]The Autonomy Project Overview: https://expressivefreedom.org/node.php?id=187

kind regards,

Jean.