[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

Thu, 29 May 2003 15:01:57 +0200

Hi,

> I'm pretty sure installing files in $HOME (from a .pkg) is a bogus
> thing  to do *anyway*, since it's only going to work for one user. As
> Charles said, the only correct behavior is to store defaults inside
> the app bundle, and copy this tree over if it's not found at startup.
> This gives all users precisely the behavior they expect.

Yes, but when starting an app we cannot find the location of the app
bundle itself... well, it requires osx specific calls I guess. Needs
more deeper knowledge of osx internals, something we're still learning.

Your proposed behaviour would be my preference too. I don't really like
the license & readme clicking for an installer. A readme & license can
reside next to the app in a .dmg as well.

> In fact, the even more correct option would be to use FSFindFolder (or
> it's CF equivalent) to to locate the 'Application Support Directory',
> and copy the files into a 'Blender' dir there. That directory would be
> $HOME/Library/Application Support/, btw.
>
> Again, code to do this kind of thing is sitting in mozilla CVS, and
> probably other places. The only bit I don't know about it doing the
> recursive copy of the actual default file structure ... is there
> existing code to handle that or not?
> I would have a go at doing all of the above, but I never seem to get
> anyway with blender builds .. will have another go later today.

Looks like you know quite more of osx than I do! But, at least I
managed to get blender compiling at osx, so don't hesitate to mail me
(ton@blender.org) questions, or drop in at the #blendercoders channel.
Stefang is there regularly as well, our current osx platform maintainer.

-Ton-