[Bf-committers] osx install example 3

James Turner bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 14:15:00 +0100

--Apple-Mail-2-744972823

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 02:01  pm, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Yes, but when starting an app we cannot find the location of the app
> bundle itself... well, it requires osx specific calls I guess. Needs
> more deeper knowledge of osx internals, something we're still > learning.

Sorry, this is simplicity itself (err, if you're a Mac weenie):

CFURLRef pluginRef = CFBundleCopyBundleURL(CFBundleGetMainBundle());
CFStringRef macPath = CFURLCopyFileSystemPath(pluginRef,
                                                kCFURLPOSIXPathStyle);
const char *pathPtr = CFStringGetCStringPtr(macPath,

CFStringGetSystemEncoding());

> Your proposed behaviour would be my preference too. I don't really
> like the license & readme clicking for an installer. A readme &
> license can reside next to the app in a .dmg as well.

<snip>

> Looks like you know quite more of osx than I do! But, at least I
> managed to get blender compiling at osx, so don't hesitate to mail me
> (ton@blender.org) questions, or drop in at the #blendercoders channel.
> Stefang is there regularly as well, our current osx platform
> maintainer.

Okay, I'm away over the weekend but I'll try and get a build going and
start looking into this (if not, prod me to :-) ... will probably drop
into irc when the build system confuses me!

H&H
James

--Apple-Mail-2-744972823

Yes, but when starting an app we cannot find the location of the app
bundle itself... well, it requires osx specific calls I guess. Needs
more deeper knowledge of osx internals, something we're still learning.

</excerpt>

Sorry, this is simplicity itself (err, if you're a Mac weenie):

CFBundleCopyBundleURL(CFBundleGetMainBundle());

CFStringRef macPath = CFURLCopyFileSystemPath(pluginRef,

                                               kCFURLPOSIXPathStyle);

const char *pathPtr = CFStringGetCStringPtr(macPath,

CFStringGetSystemEncoding()); </bigger></fontfamily>

<excerpt>

Your proposed behaviour would be my preference too. I don't really
like the license & readme clicking for an installer. A readme &
license can reside next to the app in a .dmg as well.

</excerpt>

<<snip>

<excerpt>Looks like you know quite more of osx than I do! But, at