[Bf-committers] CVS commit: lib/irix-6.5-mips/ftgl/include FTFace.h FTFont.h FTGL.h FTGLPixmapFont.h FTPoint.h FTSize.h lib/irix-6.5-mips/ftgl/lib Makefile libftgl.a patch.txt

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 10 May 2003 23:38:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Chris Want wrote:

> > shouldn't this stuff be statically linked, so the user doesn't have
> > to download and install extra packages just to get the blender to run?
> > aside from opengl, i guess.
>
> I don't think statically linking will effect performance
> too much, with the exception of the time to load up blender,
> maybe.

thet static linking is a convenience, and a guarentee
that the user doesn't have to hunt down the versions
of the libs it was compiled with (that last db download
fixed the problem, i could remove the link, i had that
library loaded on a different machine).

> All of the dynamic linking I've been doing has been
> to either system libs, or stuff from sgi freeware
> (which I am assuming shouldn't be too bad for the
> end user to install, relatively speaking).

of course it is. it require root priviledge not everyone
that will want to run blender will actually have root,
in corporate environments it;s quite normal NOT to have
root (and it's only getting) worse. getting corp IT
into the mix is only going to drive people away.

> I would have linked freetype statically, except the
> only lib that comes in the freeware package is
> a dynamic one.

yeah, hindsight is 20/20. still 3d performance of that binary
is terrible. is  there something else going on between what i CVS'ed
(which didn't handle freetype correctly) and what you sent me? I'm
using andimpact graphics with 250mhz 2meg L2, the faster thing's i've got.
this have the same problem that made 2.25 unusable on O2's, even
r10k's