gripes -- Re: [Bf-committers] New render options

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 09:03:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Gregor [iso-8859-1] M=FCckl wrote:

> > > Sorry to tell you, but this is almost impossible to do. SDL itself ca=
> > > create a lot of inpredictable dependencies depending on what backends
> > > have been enabled during compile time (and there exist many). The onl=
> > > way to get this right is to use sdl-config. Dropping sdl-config will =
only
> > > get you into deep trouble. *Never* do this. It's a lot better and saf=
er
> > > to add a
> > > - --witih-sdl-config=3D{path} option to configure.
> >
> > please give specifric example of why this doesn't work, since
> > we've had it working fine. also, SDL comes precompiled from
> > SGI for irix.
> >
>=20
> A quick analysis of the way the sdl-config is generated shows that a lot =
of
> libraries may or may not be given as linker arguments by sdl-config. This=
 is
> a list of linker flags that may or may not be given by sdl-config:
>=20
> - -lasound (Linux, others?)
> - -laudio (Irix?)
> - -laudio -lXt (Irix?)
> - -lX11 -lXext (Irix, Linux, others?)
> - -lxme (?)
> - -lph (?)
> - -lggi -lgii -lgg (Linux, others?)
> - -lvga (Linux)
> - -laa (Linux, FreeBSD, Irix, others?)
> - -lgem (Atari?)
> - -lGL (Linux, FreeBSD, Irix)
> - -framework OpenGL -framework AGL (OSX)
> - -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm (Win32)
> - -ldxguid (Win32)
> - -lusbhid (?)
> - -lusb (?)
> - -lossaudio (Linux, Irix?)
> - -lroot -lbe -lmedia -lgame -ldevide -ltextencoding (BeOS?)
> - -framework IOKit (OSX)
> - -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -framework QuickTime (OSX)
> - -framework Cocoa (OSX)
> - -framework OpenGL (OSX)
>=20
> This list may not be complete. Furthermore it's obvious that many of thes=
> flags are only valid for a limited number of platforms. Nonetheless there=
 are
> a couple of platforms where several combinations of these optional flags =
are
> valid. Also assume that if a library is given by sdl-config it is pretty
> likely that this library does not exist on this system.

all the more reason to have a seperate lib/platform for SDL.
in the case of SDL, it's precompiled with only the needed
extra libs that are known to work at the time of submission
for irix.