gripes -- Re: [Bf-committers] New render options

Gregor Mückl bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:28:24 +0200

Am Sonntag, 20. Juli 2003 15:03 schrieb John K. Walton:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Gregor [iso-8859-1] Mückl wrote:

> > > please give specifric example of why this doesn't work, since
> > > we've had it working fine. also, SDL comes precompiled from
> > > SGI for irix.
> >
> > A quick analysis of the way the sdl-config is generated shows that a lot
> > of libraries may or may not be given as linker arguments by sdl-config.
> > This is a list of linker flags that may or may not be given by
> > sdl-config:
> >
> > - -lasound (Linux, others?)
> > - -laudio (Irix?)
> > - -laudio -lXt (Irix?)
> > - -lX11 -lXext (Irix, Linux, others?)
> > - -lxme (?)
> > - -lph (?)
> > - -lggi -lgii -lgg (Linux, others?)
> > - -lvga (Linux)
> > - -laa (Linux, FreeBSD, Irix, others?)
> > - -lgem (Atari?)
> > - -lGL (Linux, FreeBSD, Irix)
> > - -framework OpenGL -framework AGL (OSX)
> > - -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinmm (Win32)
> > - -ldxguid (Win32)
> > - -lusbhid (?)
> > - -lusb (?)
> > - -lossaudio (Linux, Irix?)
> > - -lroot -lbe -lmedia -lgame -ldevide -ltextencoding (BeOS?)
> > - -framework IOKit (OSX)
> > - -framework Cocoa -framework Carbon -framework QuickTime (OSX)
> > - -framework Cocoa (OSX)
> > - -framework OpenGL (OSX)
> >
> > This list may not be complete. Furthermore it's obvious that many of
> > these flags are only valid for a limited number of platforms. Nonethele=
ss
> > there are a couple of platforms where several combinations of these
> > optional flags are valid. Also assume that if a library is given by
> > sdl-config it is pretty likely that this library does not exist on this
> > system.
>
> all the more reason to have a seperate lib/platform for SDL.
> in the case of SDL, it's precompiled with only the needed
> extra libs that are known to work at the time of submission
> for irix.

I suggest the following: Link the official blender binaries statically to a
minimailistic SDL library on all platforms. This should not be a problem at
all. But please stick to sdl-config during the build process. This will keep
building blender simple. If this does not work on Irix, please disable it for
Irix only. I think that this is a good compromise.

Regards,
Gregor