[Bf-committers] Minutes bf-blender project members meeting, jan 19

LarstiQ bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:30:21 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:34:29PM -0500, Douglas Toltzman wrote:
> Could we also have a Linux i686 build???  Would it offer performance

Technically, yes. However, the arch is the same as i386 so it makes
little sense to set up tinderbox up just for that, there are some slight
issues with CMOV being optional for i686 etc, but I don't think those
are real problems for us. I doubt it will matter much performance wise,
libc will have a bigger impact, but if you want you could come up with
some benchmarks and see what happens.
For portability I say we stick with i386, perhaps offer sub-arch binary
at the release, but I think people who want that can compile their own,
or go with wath their distribution provides. Which is something else we
need to coordinate I believe, but I digress.

> improvements on recent Intel/AMD processors?  I'd expect some benefit,
> although it may not be significant.  My company may be able to provide a
> build machine.  We have 4 linux hosts on-line, but I haven't had time to
> research the build/Tinderbox requirements.

The tinderbox requirements are the same as for a normal blender build,
plus perl and some packages, most notably mailtools. The script can be
found at blender/intern/tools/tinderbox/tinderbox-blender.pl

LarstiQ