[Bf-committers] yafpatch attempt...

Alfredo de Greef bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:03:05 -0800 (PST)

While not in any way finished, I wanted to at least
try to submit a patch for the _very_ alpha yafray
export.
I don't have any experience with creating or
submitting patches, so it could all be wrong as well.
The patch is for Blender, created from today's cvs
from within the blender directory. However, since
there are two new files, I had to include the files
separately, the -N or --new-file flag doesn't work.

As far as I understand from Ton, if the patch is over
10k I should mail a link instead of mailing it
directly to the list, so here it is:
http://www.stormpages.com/eeshlo/yaftest/ybpatch.html

It could very well be possible that some may not be
able to download the patch at all, stormpages seems to
be a very problematic site, but I have nothing else at
the moment, maybe tomorrow on the yafray site.

Now for the files, yafray_Render.cpp should go in
/blender/source/blender/src and yafray_Render.h should
go in /blender/source/blender/include

The patch itself is quite useless at the moment, since
you need a new yafray release to be able to really use
it. It could very well be possible to use an older
yafray version, but the render will not be quite
correct as far as the textures/materials is concerned,
yafray will not recognize most of the xml tags, but
probably still render the meshes itself correctly.
You do need a correctly installed yafray, it is just
temporary xml export, no plugin is used yet. It might
even crash without yafray if you try to render with
the yafray button enabled (or if yafray is not in the
system path, yafray is called with a simple system()
call), which is not a good thing of course, there
should be some type of checking to correct this, but
had no time yet.
If you get it all to compile and running, first thing
to do after blender starts up, is set the YFexport
directory in the 'file paths' section of the
user-defaults section. Then save with ctrl-u. This
directory must exist, but shouldn't cause problems if
it doesn't exist (hopefully..), it will just display
an error message in the console.

Don't expect anything spectacular, although it might
seem it has been in development for almost a year, I
only have been able to work on this and the yafray
additions for about three to four months total,
missing five months because of illness and hardware
problems.

Anyway, I don't really expect anyone to get this
working yet, so apologies in advance if this post is
totally useless. I probably should do it all
differently as far as submitting the patch is
concerned, I just wanted to release something already,
before the year ends.

Alfredo