[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

John K. Walton bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 14:07:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Frank W. Samuelson wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, John K. Walton wrote:
>

> > i would prefer it seperate, then all the requirements become
> > options for the irix platform BF release I try to maintain.
> > let's face it SGI is not a game machine, it's not fair to
> > be saddled with the game PLAYING requirements (ie opengl
> > 2.0, openal..). the physics etc.. are ok, as long as
> > the "let's use a crossplatform software package (that's not
> > crossplatform, ie openal, ode (which took some goofing around
> > with)" doesn't get out of hand (again).
> >

> My guess is that OpenGL 2.0 is probably inevitable at some point
> in time.  Things happen; stuff progresses.

probably. but you can't upgrade older irix for it, it has to
come with new release and that takes BIG MONEY. I dont' see it
needed for animation althought it might be wanted for games.

> As far as openal, isn't that needed by the audio sequencer anyway?
> Having integrated audio to sync to animation is a great idea,
> even if you're not playing games.

no, openal never worked for IRIX even with NaN. the audio seqeuencer
uses SDL ONLY, no openal.